Home Login Site Map

History

1957

Public Meeting called by Mayor, Ivan Jack when community & families raised concern about the lack of services available for retarded children and their families in Wagga Wagga.

Organisation formed and known as The Society for the Welfare of Retarded Children.

Women's Auxiliary formed to assist with fundraising.

First general meeting of new organisation - Society for the Welfare of Retarded Children, held and adoption of three objectives:

- Persist with the operation and development of the minding centre;

- Work for the employment of a trained teacher;

- Keep in mind the provision of a dormitory establishment as an ultimate goal.

Established minding centre one day a week at Girl Guide Hall in Johnston Street

JULY 1957

Jaycees 'adopted' Kurrajong to build a school for retarded children.

1958

Acquired' from the NSW Education Department on a lease arrangement, land on which Kurrajong Waratah Administration and other services are situated today.

1960

Establishment of first registered school at Croaker Hall Wagga Showgrounds - 5 days per week.

1961

Opening of first school building KurrajongSchool at Lord Baden Drive site with funds raised by Jaycees. No Government funding was available.

1967

Education Department opened Kurrajong Park Special School on same land as Kurrajong School.

Opening of first hostel providing accommodation for children and adults.

1970

Waratah Industries commenced as an independent organisation with the assistance of Wagga Apex Club.

1971

Negotiations began with a view to a merger between Kurrajong and Waratah Industries.

1972

Accommodation for adolescents opened on site at Lord Baden Powell Drive.

1978

Opening of the 'Wal Wild' Activity Centre at Chaston Street - now Kurrajong Recyclers.

1979

Establishment and opening of a hostel specifically for adults on site at Lord Baden Powell.

1981

Amy Hurd retired and John Cozier, a long standing Board Member, became Administrator.

Early Intervention commenced as an independent organisation to provide services to babies and children under 5 years and their families.

1982

John Cozier retired. Roger Barson appointed as General Manager and Kurrajong became known as Kurrajong Complex.

1983

NSW Department of Education assumed responsibility for all children and adolescents with a disability at Kurrajong Park School - today it is know as Willians Hill School Kurrajong Complex had no responsibility for schooling from this time.

1984

Wagga Early Intervention Service merged with Kurrajong Complex at their request.

On the resignation of Roger Barson, Steve Jaques appointed as General Manager of Kurrajong Complex.

1985

Waratah Industries merged with Kurrajong Complex

Organisation now known as Kurrajong Complex and Waratah Industries incorporating Early Intervention.

1986

Established four community based group homes for children's accommodation service and closed Children's Hostel.

Established a group home for adults with severe and multiple disabilities.

Funding received to establish a number of small businesses and close the Adult Training Centre.

1987

Purchase of warehouse building and land at Wentworth Street to allow relocation of Waratah Industries from Railway Street.

1990

Organisations name formally shortened to Kurrajong Waratah Industries Ltd.

1991

First permanent home established for Early Intervention - centre opened in Red Hill Road with Government funding and strong community support.

1994

Kurrajong Waratah's Work Solutions service established to support people with a disability to gain and retain employment in community businesses.

1995

Kurrajong Park School (Education Department School) changed name to Willians Hill School.

1998

The adult hostel closed. All adults with a disability now able to live in the community.

Kurrajong Waratah given the opportunity to manage and eventually own Rosebank Retirement Village through the generosity of the late Peter Pascoe and Joanne Pascoe.

1999

Organisations name officially shortened to Kurrajong Waratah.

2001

RMADO (Riverina Murray Area Disability Options) established to develop day options for adults with disabilities who have no access to employment or day services in the Riverina Murray Region.

2003

Retirelink established to accommodate the needs of adults with a disability as they age.

Kurrajong Waratah and West Wyalong employment service - Spins merge to improve services and provide new opportunities for adults in the West Wyalong district.

2004

Kurrajong Waratah merge with Marashel Disability Services in West Wyalong and Allambie Disability Services in Leeton.

2005

Merge with the Cypress Centre in Narrandera.

The first Rural Beginnings - Early Intervention Outreach Centre is opened in Tumut and is known as "Kurrajong Early Intervention Centre - Tumut"

Commenced negotiations with Wagga Wagga City Council with a view to purchasing the old gasworks site in Chaston Street from which we could conduct our recycling operations.

2007

Funding was received for the establishment of a new group home, to assist the organisation purchasing group homes to replace renting properties and establish a two year pilot project known as InterLink.

Celebrated Kurrajong Waratah's 50th year of providing services to babies, children and adults with disabilities and their families.